Friday, December 14, 2007

New bike, new floor, new hope




So the posts are few and far between now days - I should get better about it.

Nicholas turned five this week. He was just that sweet, yellow baby that I took to church at four days old. He slept through the Christmas program that year. I remember that Christmas I had a perspective that I hadn't experienced before. There was this sense of what it must have been like for Mary, if only just a little tiny glimpse. She celebrated the arrival of a sweet, perfect little boy that would change the world forever. Okay, so my little guy isn't changing the world (yet), but he certainly brings joy to us.


Nicholas John started his birthday with a new bike and some Pokemons, and a candle in his cinnamon roll. He spent most of his day dressed as the Incredible Hulk (thanks, Allison). He wore it to the grocery one day last week and I'll tell you, we met more friends that day! All of the little ladies smiled and nodded at me as we strolled along. Many of the otherwise Christmas-rushed customers stopped to talk to Nicholas, and a Pepsi delivery man told him he'd stay out of his way so he wouldn't overpower him with his green muscles!


As is the Grandstaff tradition,Nicholas he picked his birthday dinner and who we should share it with. He chose to have Mamaw and Great Grandma Layton (affectionately known as "the Grandmas"), and our dear friends, The Grays (who, by the way, have their own perfect little baby this season). The menu was macaroni & cheese, octopus (hot dogs), chicken 'nuggets, and marshmallows. Then we topped it off with a gunslinger cake and ice cream. I've never been a five year-old boy, but if I was, I think this would have been a perfect birthday!

No comments: